Friday, April 06, 2007

 

Artistic Design in Video Games

I have been thinking about artistic design in video games lately. Mostly because I have gotten back into City of Heroes, which in my opinion, has made the most successful use of artistic design of any of the massively multiplayer games on the market*.

It is interesting that City of Heroes is getting to be a bit of a dated game, yet it looks better than so of the newer MMO's. The reason is artistic design. The developers have made choices that look good but are less computationally intensive. Specifically, they used comic style as opposed to photorealism. In the context of the game, superhero fantasy, this makes excellent sense.

*I haven't tried them all, but I have tried alot. Free trial offers FTW.

Digg!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?